This information was provided by Rob Bowe, one of the…
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN HENRY1 SWANTON was born 1798 in Lemcon, County Cork, Ireland, and died March 04, 1891 in Sun Prairie, WI Buried at St. Albans, Sussex, Wi. He married GRACE KING February 25, 1831 in Crook Haven, Ireland by Rev. Moses More.
More About JOHN HENRY SWANTON:
Immigrated to: Abt. 1846, Dunville, Ontario, Canada
Removed: 1853, Town of Richfield, Washington Co. Wi.
Removed to: 1870, Sun Prairie, Wi
More About GRACE KING:
She had at time of death: 1894, 43 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild
Children of JOHN SWANTON and GRACE KING are:
i. THOMAS2 SWANTON, b. May 09, 1832, Kilmoe, County Cork, Ireland; d. May 09, 1832, Dunville, Ontario, Canada (Drowning).
2. ii. SUSAN SWANTON, b. August 22, 1833, Kilmoe, County Cork, Ireland; d. October 03, 1866, Cottage Grove, WI.
iii. ELIZA SWANTON, b. October 18, 1835, Kilmoe, County Cork, Ireland; d. November 27, 1911, Leroy, Mower Co. Mn; m. ROBERT BOYD.
iv. PATIENCE SWANTON, b. 1841, Ireland; d. 1915, Fargo, Nd; m. MR HOFFMAN.
v. SARAH SWANTON, b. 1844, Ireland; d. 1939, Los Angeles, Ca; m. MR CONE.
More About SARAH SWANTON:
Lived: 1894, in Janesviille, Wisconsin
vi. GRACE SWANTON, b. September 13, 1847, Dunville, Ontario, Canada; d. November 08, 1885, Blooming Grove, Dane Co. Wi; m. MR GALLAGHER(2).
3. vii. HENRY JOHN SWANTON, b. July 29, 1850, Dunville, Ontario, Canada; d. June 21, 1936, Alderley, Twn OF Ashippun, Dodge Co. Wisconsin (at Home).
4. viii. ROBERT E.. SWANTON, b. July 14, 1853, Town of Richfield, Washington Co, Wi; d. May 18, 1917, Cottage Grove, Wi.
5. ix. CAROLINE VICTORIA SWANTON, b. February 22, 1856, Town of Richfield, Washington Co, Wi; d. September 28, 1926, Alderley, Twn OF
Ashippun, Dodge Co. Wisconsin.
Generation No. 2
2. SUSAN2 SWANTON (JOHN HENRY1) was born August 22, 1833 in Kilmoe, County Cork, Ireland, and died October 03, 1866 in Cottage Grove, Wi. She married RICHARD GALLAGHER October 03, 1866.
Child of SUSAN SWANTON and RICHARD GALLAGHER is:
i. ROBERT3 GALLAGHER.
More About ROBERT GALLAGHER: Infant death: Abt. 1877
3. HENRY JOHN2 SWANTON (JOHN HENRY1) was born July 29, 1850 in Dunville, Ontario, Canada, and died June 21, 1936 in Alderley, Twn OF Ashippun, Dodge Co. Wisconsin (at Home).
He married (1) SUSAN SWANTON January 1881. He married (2) MARY ALICE EDWARDS November 27, 1895 in St.Albans, Sussex, Wi, daughter of JOHN EDWARDS and MARY MCINTYRE.
More About SUSAN SWANTON:
Illness: 1903, Probably died from complications of childbirth.
Children of HENRY SWANTON and SUSAN SWANTON are:
6. i. JOHN (JACK)3 SWANTON, b. November 16, 1883, Ashippun Township, Dodge Co. Wi.; d. February 20, 1946, Hartford, Wi.
ii. ELIAS SWANTON, b. December 06, 1887, Town of Ashippun, Dodge CO, Wi; d. August 01, 1975, Town of Ashippun, Dodge CO, Wi, Buried-St Paul's Episcopal Cemetery; m. URSULA COPITHORN.
More About ELIAS SWANTON:
Known as: Lias and to this researcher, Uncle Lias
Lived: with Clayton Swanton and helped raise him on the homestead.
US Army: Bet. 1917 - 1918, Served with the US Expeditionary Forces in France (WW I) along with his cousin Harvey Swanton. Rank of Sergeant
7. iii. ETTA URSULA SWANTON, b. June 08, 1890, Sun Prairie, Wi.; d. July 06, 1976, Reedsburg, Wi, Buried St Paul's Town of Ashippun.
iv. SUSAN SWANTON, b. July 01, 1893; d. July 26, 1893, Town of Ashippun.
Children of HENRY SWANTON and MARY EDWARDS are:
8. v. ETHEL IDELLE3 SWANTON, b. September 16, 1897, Town of Ashippun, Dodge Co. Wisconsin; d. August 07, 1982, Hartford, Wisconsin.
9. vi. EMERY WILLIS SWANTON, b. May 18, 1905, Town oF Ashippun, Dodge County, Wi; d. February 02, 1986, Hartford, Wi Buried at Pleasant Hill.
4. ROBERT E..2 SWANTON (JOHN HENRY1) was born July 14, 1853 in Town of Richfield, Washington Co, Wi, and died May 18, 1917 in Cottage
Children of ROBERT E.. SWANTON are:
i. MILO K.3 SWANTON.
ii. RAY SWANTON.
10. iii. JESSIE SWANTON.
iv. RUTH SWANTON.
v. JENNIE SWANTON.
5. CAROLINE VICTORIA2 SWANTON (JOHN HENRY1) was born February 22, 1856 in Town of Richfield, Washington Co, Wi, and died September 28,
1926 in Alderley, Twn OF Ashippun, Dodge Co. Wisconsin. She married ELIAS SWANTON, son of ELIAS SWANTON.
Children of CAROLINE SWANTON and ELIAS SWANTON are:
11. i. HARVEY3 SWANTON.
12. ii. GRACE SWANTON, b. 1875; d. June 1920.
iii. CAROLINE SWANTON, d. 1986, Madison.
More About CAROLINE SWANTON:
Known as: Little Carri
iv. JAMES SWANTON, b. September 17, 1883; d. May 21, 1906, In service to US Army.
v. DR. MILO SWANTON.
Generation No. 3
6. JOHN (JACK)3 SWANTON (HENRY JOHN2, JOHN HENRY1) was born November 16, 1883 in Ashippun Township, Dodge Co. Wi., and died February
20, 1946 in Hartford, Wi. He married ELSIE BALKMANN June 11, 1939 in St.John's Lutheran Church, Stone bank, Wi.
Child of JOHN SWANTON and ELSIE BALKMANN is:
13. i. CLAYTON4 SWANTON, b. October 21, 1941, Hartford, Wi.
7. ETTA URSULA3 SWANTON (HENRY JOHN2, JOHN HENRY1) was born June 08, 1890 in Sun Prairie, Wi., and died July 06, 1976 in Reedsburg, Wi,
Buried St Paul's Town of Ashippun. She married ERVIN GANDER October 25, 1919 in St. Paul's Episcopal, Alderly, Town Of Ashippun, Dodge Co, Wi..
More About ERVIN GANDER:
US Army: Served With the US Expeditionary Forces, WW I
Children of ETTA SWANTON and ERVIN GANDER are:
i. DONALD4 GANDER, b. June 27, 1921; d. February 1999, Ree, Wi.
14. ii. LELAND GANDER, b. Abt. 1925; d. January 02, 1964, Oregon, Wi.
8. ETHEL IDELLE3 SWANTON (HENRY JOHN2, JOHN HENRY1)1 was born September 16, 1897 in Town of Ashippun, Dodge Co. Wisconsin1, and died August 07, 1982 in Hartford, Wisconsin1. She married ROY ELREY LIVINSTON BOWE1 February 04, 1918 in St. Paul's Episcopal Church,
Highway P Town of Ashippun1, son of ARTHUR BOWE and HELEN ANDERSON.
Notes for ROY ELREY LIVINSTON BOWE:
Roy worked in the summers of 1911, 1912, and 1913 for Albert Gennerman, of Toland as a thresherman and hired hand. Gennerman owned a threshing machine and traveled with his crew to area farms to thresh grain in the summer time. Roy and his family were close with his parents living on the Anderson/Danielson homestead near Toland and Saylesville in those days.
Roy and his young siblings enjoyed skating on Collins Lake in the winter and Roy participated in ski jumping on the local ski-jump hill nearby. He attended the University of Wisconsin and graduated from the short course agricultural school in 1916 and then courted Ethel Swanton of the Alderly area. The couple met at a dance at the Dance Hall at Alderly and a romance followed. Ethel characterized Roy as quite a dancer, "He moved around the dance floor briskly with his arm and mine going up and down like an old pump handle."
Roy's friends in those days were Obert Halverson. "Merle?", Elias Swanton, the Hanrahan and Nelson children.
Roy traded in his horse and buggy for an early auto about 1917, but he made this comment to his grandson Robert Bowe, when Robert as a young man. "Horse and buggies, had it all over cars when it came to courting. You didn't have to look for a parking place to spoon, the horse just plodded alone and knew the way home!"
Roy and Ethel were interested in family history and kept a lot of information on their ancestors in the Bowe, Danielson, Anderson, Pierce, Swanton and other family lines. They are responsible for much of the information in the Bowe family tree today.
More About ROY ELREY LIVINSTON BOWE:
Board member: Pure Milk products
Hobby: Wood carving and crafts
School Board Member: Saylesville School
U Of Wisconsin: 1916, Graduate of 2-year course in Agriculture
Children of ETHEL SWANTON and ROY BOWE are:
15. i. RONALD LEROY4 BOWE, b. January 02, 1919, Town of Ashippun, Dodge Co. Wisconsin.
ii. RUSSELL KENNETH BOWE1, b. July 31, 1922, Saylesville, Town of Rubicon, Dodge Co, Wi1; m. HILDA FEUTZ, July 07, 1945, St. John's United Reformed Church.
More About RUSSELL KENNETH BOWE:
Farmed: Bet. 1940 - 1958, Farmed with his father Roy on Riverbend farm
Later: Worked at International Stamping until his retirement
Worked: Abt. 1958, Eckhardt & Kroeber Oil company, on the bulk truck
More About HILDA FEUTZ:
Worked: Abt. 1945, till retirement at the "Dime store, early on called Ben Franklin, then Van Alstines, and then Halla's on Main Street in Hartford.
9. EMERY WILLIS3 SWANTON (HENRY JOHN2, JOHN HENRY1) was born May 18, 1905 in Town of Ashippun, Dodge County, Wi, and died February 02,
1986 in Hartford, Wi Buried at Pleasant Hill. He married THERESA MARX February 24, 1929 in Hartford, WI, daughter of JOSEPH SR. and
Child of EMERY SWANTON and THERESA MARX is:
16. i. BEVERLY ROSE4 SWANTON, b. May 11, 1936.
10. JESSIE3 SWANTON (ROBERT E..2, JOHN HENRY1). She married MILO SALTER.
Children of JESSIE SWANTON and MILO SALTER are:
i. MILO SALTER4 JR..
ii. DR. ROBERT SALTER.
11. HARVEY3 SWANTON (CAROLINE VICTORIA2, JOHN HENRY1).
Children of HARVEY SWANTON are:
i. JAMES4 SWANTON.
ii. JANE SWANTON.
iii. JEAN SWANTON.
12. GRACE3 SWANTON (CAROLINE VICTORIA2, JOHN HENRY1) was born 1875, and died June 1920. She married THOMAS CURPHY.
Children of GRACE SWANTON and THOMAS CURPHY are:
i. LESTER4 CURPHY.
ii. VERA CURPHY.
iii. GENENIVE CURPHY.
iv. JUNE CURPHY, b. June 1920.
Generation No. 4
13. CLAYTON4 SWANTON (JOHN (JACK)3, HENRY JOHN2, JOHN HENRY1) was born October 21, 1941 in Hartford, Wi. He married JUDY BAERWALD
August 24, 1968.
More About CLAYTON SWANTON:
Lives: On the Old Swanton Homestead
Children of CLAYTON SWANTON and JUDY BAERWALD are:
i. KEVIN5 SWANTON, b. December 14, 1970.
ii. KEITH SWANTON.
iii. LORMAVE SWANTON.
14. LELAND4 GANDER (ETTA URSULA3 SWANTON, HENRY JOHN2, JOHN HENRY1) was born Abt. 1925, and died January 02, 1964 in Oregon, Wi. He married CHARLOTTE NELSON.
Children of LELAND GANDER and CHARLOTTE NELSON are:
i. DEBRA5 GANDER.
ii. DARRELL GANDER.
15. RONALD LEROY4 BOWE (ETHEL IDELLE3 SWANTON, HENRY JOHN2, JOHN HENRY1)1 was born January 02, 1919 in Town of Ashippun, Dodge Co.
Wisconsin1. He married CLARA EMMA MATHILDA CHRISTIAN1 June 09, 1946 in Immanuel Lutheran (River Church) Theresa1, daughter of REINHOLD CHRISTIAN and ELLA DOBBERPHUL.
Notes for RONALD LEROY BOWE:
Ronald was born on the old Anderson/Danielson homestead in Section 1 of the Town Of Ashippun.
Ronnie moved in 1920 with his folks to "Riverbend farm", also known as the "Old Barney place."
His first memory is of the barn on that place exploding (spontaneous combustion) in 1922. He also was one of a very few to ever make the front page of a paper in our family when his birth was announced on page 1 of the Hartford Times on Jan 3, 1919. (His great Aunt Nina Anderson wrote the Ashippun column for that paper and that no doubt helped!)
Ronald walked several miles to catch a ride to high school, and then later drove the old 28 Chevy taking a bunch of neighbor kids to school. Before joining the US Army in 1942, he worked at the Schwartz ballroom (Zivko's) as a bouncer, also at Libby's canning factory, Leach Auto and then a stint with Joe Marx at the "Stamping " Co."T
During the service he was at Camp Barkley in Texas, then to California and then in the South Pacific at Guam, Honolulu, Hawaii, Tokoyo, Japan and Korea. He saw the battleship USS Missouri sail out of Tokyo Bay after the surrender by the Japanese was signed on that vessel.
He was discharged in early 1946 from Camp McCoy, Wisconsin. Ronnie also was the proud owner of the first 1946 Plymouth delivered in the Hartford area after WWII.
After the war he rejoined Joe Marx as an early employee of International Stamping CO, inventor's and maker's of the Midas Muffler. He started as a spot welder and later became a foreman and finally in charge of the spray painting department and shipping from the Hartford factory. He had 38 plus years service at his retirement from that company. He also worked part-time for Daubner's Welding and for many years at Sentry Foods in Hartford.
He served on the school board for his church Peace Lutheran for many years. Active in many church and civic functions as a volunteer for many years as well. He was also a member the American Legion and the V.F.W.
More About RONALD LEROY BOWE:
38 years: Bet. 1940 - 1983, Intnl Stamping Co, Midas Corp, Supervisor
Baptism: 1919, In Norwegian by uncle, Rev. HL Anderson
Hartford High School: Bet. 1933 - 1937, Graduated in 1937
Saylesville School: 1925, graduated from 8th grade, 1933
US Army: Bet. 1942 - 1946, Texas, California, Hawaii, Guam, Korea
Notes for CLARA EMMA MATHILDA CHRISTIAN:
Clara was active for many years in her church, Peace Lutheran at Hartford, Wisconsin.
She was a member of the choir, taught Sunday school, and was active in various other social organizations that served her church. Clara was a volunteer at the Hartford, Hospital as well. She was selected as an outstanding senior citizen in Washington CO. Her cooking and baking skills were 2nd to no one!
More About CLARA EMMA MATHILDA CHRISTIAN:
Confirmed: Immanuel Lutheran Church, Town Theresa
School: Immanuel Lutheran
Children of RONALD BOWE and CLARA CHRISTIAN are:
17. i. ROBERT (ROB) ROY5 BOWE, b. August 04, 1947, Hustisford, Dodge Co, Wi.
18. ii. KRISTINE ELLEN BOWE, b. July 06, 1952, Hartford, Wi,.
19. iii. KEITH RONALD BOWE, b. February 15, 1956, Hartford, Wi,.
16. BEVERLY ROSE4 SWANTON (EMERY WILLIS3, HENRY JOHN2, JOHN HENRY1) was born May 11, 1936. She married PHILLIP JACK YOUNG.
Children of BEVERLY SWANTON and PHILLIP YOUNG are:
i. SHERYL DENISE5 YOUNG, b. February 08, 1961.
ii. BRENDA RENEE YOUNG, b. November 08, 1961.
iii. SCOTT KEVIN YOUNG, b. February 07, 1970.
Generation No. 5
17. ROBERT (ROB) ROY5 BOWE (RONALD LEROY4, ETHEL IDELLE3 SWANTON, HENRY JOHN2, JOHN HENRY1)1 was born August 04, 1947 in Hustisford,
Dodge Co, Wi1. He married CYNTHIA MARIE MILLER1 June 05, 1971 in St. Josaphat's Basilica, Milwaukee, Wi1, daughter of GEORGE MILLER and
Notes for ROBERT (ROB) ROY BOWE:
Rob and Cindy lived in Milwaukee, then removed to Austin, Mn In Nov 0f 1971. Rob worked for Kaus (Kaal) Tv. In 1973 they moved to St. Joseph, Mo. Where Rob worked at KQTV and later KMM radio at Cameron, Mo. They lived on acreage at Agency Missouri, raising Old English Sheepdogs, which they showed. Their Shannonbo Kennel was one of the top producing show kennels in the United States, from 1975 till about 1984. During this time Rob and Cindy’s Kennel produced over 25 American and Canadian Champion Dogs.
Rob worked as an agent for the Farm Bureau from 1979 till 1983, when the family moved to the Ozarks where Rob was Operations manager at a TV station in Rolla, Mo. The returned to Austin, Minnesota in 1984, where he is a free-lance writer and a sawmill business owner.
More About ROBERT (ROB) ROY BOWE:
Baptism: August 1947, River Church (Emmanuel)
Confirmed: 1961, Peace, Lutheran Hartford, Wisconsin
Entertainer: Bet. 1966 - 1971, played in Rock bands
University: Bet. 1966 - 1968, Milwaukee Institute Of Technology, 1968-71, University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh
More About CYNTHIA MARIE MILLER:
Stepfather: Leo S. Boczkiewicz1
Children of ROBERT BOWE and CYNTHIA MILLER are:
i. SCOTT ROBERT6 BOWE1, b. August 23, 19791.
More About SCOTT ROBERT BOWE:
Eagle Scout: 1994, Troop 113, Austin, Mn
High School: Bet. 1994 - 1998, Austin, Mn National Honor Society
Sports: Bet. 1997 - 1998, State Qualifier 1997-1998 AHS
Sports Cont: Bet. 1998 - 1999, UW-Stevens Point Swimming team
University: 1998, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
ii. AMY MARIE BOWE1, b. December 03, 1981, Methodist Hospital, St. Joseph, Mo.came fast-In Hospital 1/2 hour1.
More About AMY MARIE BOWE:
Brownie Scout: Austin, Mn
High School: Bet. 1996 - 1999, Austin, Mn Math league competitor
Sports: Bet. 1996 - 1998, Swimming and Track
8. KRISTINE ELLEN5 BOWE (RONALD LEROY4, ETHEL IDELLE3 SWANTON, HENRY JOHN2, JOHN HENRY1)1 was born July 06, 1952 in Hartford, Wi,1.
She married REV. NORRIS BAUMANN1 April 25, 1976 in Hartford, Wi (Peace Lutheran)1, son of HAROLD BAUMMANN and ERMA NEITZEL.
Notes for KRISTINE ELLEN BOWE:
Kris was the Prom queen in her junior year of high school. She graduated from Columbia school of Nursing, Milwaukee, Wi as an RN.
Notes for REV. NORRIS BAUMANN:
Norris attended Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary in Meuon, Wi. He was ordained and served at Winner, South Dakota, where his children were born. Then he was called to Clatonia Neb, for several years and then removed to serve at Onalaska, Wisconsin.
Norris and Kris's children all attended Luther High School, Onalaska, Wi.
Children of KRISTINE BOWE and REV. BAUMANN are:
i. ERIC JAMES6 BAUMANN1, b. January 04, 1977, Milwaukee, Wi1.
More About ERIC JAMES BAUMANN:
University: Bet. 1996 - 1998, Riverland Community College, Austin, Mn
ii. SARA ELIZABETH BAUMANN1, b. March 11, 1979, Winner, South Dakota1.
More About SARA ELIZABETH BAUMANN:
University: 1997, Bethany College, Mankato, Mn.
iii. ANDREW NORRIS BAUMANN1, b. January 22, 1983, Winner, South Dakota1.
19. KEITH RONALD5 BOWE (RONALD LEROY4, ETHEL IDELLE3 SWANTON, HENRY JOHN2, JOHN HENRY1)1 was born February 15, 1956 in Hartford, Wi,1.
He married ESTHER LOIS SCHMELZER1 July 12, 1980 in St. Paul's Lutheran, Remus Michigan1, daughter of REV. SCHMELZER and CHRYSTA ALBRECHT.
Notes for KEITH RONALD BOWE:
Keith attended UW-West Bend Center, and then transferred to Doctor Martin Luther College in New Ulm Minnesota, where he met Esther. After graduation he taught at a Lutheran Grade school in Escondido, Ca, then transferred to the Denver Col. area and taught at a school in the Breckenridge area.
He returned to Wisconsin about 1993 and taught at Wisconsin Lutheran High School. After his tenure at WISCO, he went to Kettle Moraine Lutheran High School in Jackson, Wi about 1997. He is currently Curriculum director
Her father Rev. Ed Schmlezer in her home church in Michigan married Keith and Esther. Keith and family live in Menominee Falls, Wi. (Milwaukee area)
Children of KEITH BOWE and ESTHER SCHMELZER are:
i. CHRYSTA ELIZABETH6 BOWE1, b. October 13, 1981, Escondido, Ca1.
ii. PAUL ANDREW BOWE1, b. October 06, 1983, Escondido, Ca1.
iii. ANGELA ESTHER BOWE1, b. January 24, 1986, Escondido, Ca1.